More about Murray State
Murray State offers relevant programs with core studies in the liberal arts and sciences, leading to degrees that prepare students for success. Through effective and creative teaching, the opportunity to apply knowledge and skills to real-world situations, and student support services, our exceptional faculty and staff foster student growth in knowledge, critical inquiry, and innovative thinking.
As a public comprehensive university dedicated to diversity, global awareness, and intellectual curiosity, we actively engage students, faculty, staff and the community in collaborative scholarship, creative activity, and research. Our uniqueness arises from a combination of academic excellence, a welcoming atmosphere and dedication to student success through mentored, real-world learning opportunities in an open-minded and supportive online learning environment.
- Murray State University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate, baccalaureate, master’s, specialist and doctorate degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Murray State.
- The Arthur J. Bauernfeind College of Business has been continuously accredited by The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB International) since 1981
- Ranked #3 among the “Best 4-Year Colleges in Kentucky” by Schools.com (2020)
- Listed among “America’s Top Colleges” every year since 2008 by Forbes
- Recognized as a “Top Tier” university in academic quality for 29 consecutive years by U.S. News & World Report (2020)
- Considered a “Best Deal” by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance and a “Hidden Treasure” by Kaplan, Inc.
- Outranks all Kentucky public universities in graduate and alumni satisfaction, according to a Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education survey
- Ranked #13 among “Best Colleges for Veterans, Regional Universities South” by U.S. News & World Report (2020)
We are Racers
Originally, all of Murray State’s athletic teams were known as the Thoroughbreds, which came from the love of thoroughbred racing throughout the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Unfortunately, the lengthy nickname didn't work well for newspaper headline writers, so they used shortened versions like T-Breds, ’Breds, Race Horses and Racers instead. Around the late 1950s, the shorter moniker of Racers became the generally accepted nickname for Murray State’s athletic teams.